Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Apple Chips

Over the course of the past semester, I discovered the joys of dehydrated fruit: specifically apples and mangos. They sell snack-sized packets in the campus convenience stores. I'm addicted.

And I needed a fix.

So I took apples and made apple chips. They proved to be a scrumptious snack. And they're easy as apple pie to make. Except easier. Much easier.

You will need:
Baking Apples (I used Granny Smith, but any will do)
Cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.




Take your apples and slice them as thinly as possible.


If you have a mandolin, now's your time to use it.

Unless you are like me, and the only mandolin you own is a musical instrument. I did not use my mandolin.

It is not necessary to peel and core the apples, though I do recommend removing the seeds, because they are not tasty, and they contain cyanide.

Place the thinly sliced apples on a baking sheet. I used parchment paper to reduce messiness.

This is about two medium-sized apples worth of chips

Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon to your taste. 



Stick them in the oven and bake for 2 hours, flipping the apples every 30 minutes. When the apples begin curling around the edges they are ready.


Mhmmm. Delicious. 

It didn't take long for these apples to disappear, but they weren't quite on par with the packaged ones. Next time, I think I may try peeling and coring the apples. 

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment