Sunday, December 18, 2011

Half Marathon Training

So last Monday I began my official training for my first Half Marathon! Or so I thought... I had decided to follow Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan. I hadn't run much the previous week, and I took Sunday off after racing on Saturday, so I decided I would skip the included rest day on Monday and run. 


Monday's run went as planned. I had planned on running Tuesday as well, but I ended up spending the day in Chattanooga. I ran Wednesday, but since then... Nothing. I ran 6 miles this week. What???


This break has been far busier than I expected it to be. I feel like I am stretched to the limit trying to spend time with my friends that are in town for the holidays. My days have been full of shopping and lunches and coffee with friends while my nights have consisted of birthday and Christmas parties. I NEED SLEEP. 


Yes, I realize it is ridiculous to complain about "having" to go out every night. In 4ish years, when I am out of school with a real job (fingers crossed) I will be looking back on this time of my life with envy. But for now I will be whiney. At least for a little bit. 


But though I will whine I will also run. I must run. For the sake of my sanity. So beginning tomorrow: I train. 


I tried to make that sound intense. Did I succeed? Maybe?


Anyway, here is a schedule of my training for the next 15 weeks. As you can see, some of the weeks are doubled. This is because Hal Higdon's plan is only 12 weeks. I figured that 3 extra weeks couldn't hurt me. I also had trouble finding a prescribed 10k race in my area so I settled for an 8k. I apologize for the size of the plan; I battled with the computer for over 30 minutes, and lost. 

tiny, tiny
In addition to Half-Marathon training, I am also beginning my journey towards doing 100 consecutive pushups! Tomorrow's plan calls for sets of 12, 10, 7, 7, max (>9) with 60 seconds rest between each set. That's at least 45 pushups! I can do it

That's all for this week's fitness goals. Tomorrow, I'm waking up early to bake these brownies. And then I'm going to Dollywood. Yeehaw! 


No comments:

Post a Comment