Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

Hello!

I've been insanely busy this past week. Insanely...

But somehow I found the time to bake bread.

I found this recipe while perusing through my edition of Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites. Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against healthy fats. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have picked out this book for myself (it was a gift); however, its lead me to some really great recipes.

Besides, I think I eat enough peanut butter to justify cooking or baking with less fat. But enough about that.

Irish Soda Bread. This recipe caught my eye because of its rustic appeal. Okay, bullshit. I'm still new to bread baking, and this recipe looked less intimidating that other bread recipes. Plus it looked pretty simple.

But seriously, this bread was yummy. Perfect for breakfast. Or tea. If you're into tea. I am. Health wise it is pretty amazing as well. Whole wheat pastry flour, very little butter or sugar. And currants, which add sweetness and plenty of nutrients.

Currants are like raisins, but cuter.

Anyway, the bread:

1½ cups unbleached flour
1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons cold butter
1 egg separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup currants

First preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flours, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix in the brown sugar. Using a pastry cutter or food processor cut the butter pieces into the flour mixture until it appears crumbly.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg white until frothy. Add the egg yolk, buttermilk, and currants, and mix until homogenous. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, stirring until the dough is evenly moist. Turn out the soft dough onto a floured board, and with your hands all floury gently need for 30-45 second. Do Not Overknead!

Form the dough into a 9-inch dome and place on an oiled baking sheet. With a knife cut a X ½ and inch deep.

X Marks the Delicious Spot
Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

Lovely
 The only modifications I made to the recipe was the inclusion of the egg yolk, for added moisture. This bread should be eaten quickly. After a couple days it will harden up a bit. It is served best warm and buttered with a cup of tea.
Yum

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment