Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Morning Run and Unsuccessful Overnight Oats

When I went to bed at 1:00 am last night I had no intention of waking up early and going for a run. I love sleeping and I turn into a cranky crazy monster if I get less than 8 hours. Seriously, it is ridiculous.

So when I woke up this morning at 7:30 I didn't even consider getting up, until I realized that one of my eyes was crusted shut. Ick. After a mad dash out of bed, and a quick examination of my eye (and forcing my roommate to examine my eye), I'm pretty sure it's not pink-eye, which is fabulous because contracting pink-eye is my greatest irrational fear. Still, it seems that I have some sort of eye infection.

After all of this nonsense I was wide awake and forced to choose between:
  1. Going for a quick run
  2. Taking a trip to the student health center
Being the responsible adult I am, I went for a run. To be fair, we've been having unseasonably warm weather here, and the forecast for the later parts of the day predicted HEAVY rain. 

Fueled by one mustached mug of coffee I was off into the misty humid morning. 3.5 miles later I was back in my dorm room, and after a quick shower I was ready to refuel with some overnight oats I had prepared. 

Now, oatmeal is probably one of my favorite foods ever. Like in the whole world. 

There is just something about the heartiness of oats and the endless flavor combinations that motivates me to jump out of bed in the morning in time to microwave some breakfast. But last night, after acquiring a brand new box of rolled oats, I decided that I would mix up my morning meal by making overnight oats instead of the standard hot fare.

They didn't really turn out as I had expected... I think I my liquid/oat ratio was off; the oats didn't absorb all of the milk. Also, I regret choosing apples as they were much crunchier than I would have liked in my oatmeal. One triumph of my attempt was the discovery of the magical flavor of chai tea in oats. It was amazing. Until I decided to microwave the whole mess and thus return to my old standby. After I heated the oatmeal, the chai flavor all but disappeared.

I'm not too worried though. Round two of overnight oats will be coming soon.

In case you're curious, here is my failed recipe for overnight oats.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup rolled oats
>2/3 cups skim milk
1 small apple thinly sliced and mirowaved until soft
a splash of strong chai tea (I used Stash black and green chai)
a couple teaspoons of chia seeds
dash of cinnamon
7 raw almonds

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and leave covered in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Unwrap oats, and take a few tentative bites. Realize that the overnight oats were a failure and heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
3. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment